Praxis ~ BioHackers Podcast
Our team of learning experts can help you migrate and enhance your existing learning content, or build new and engaging experiences directly in Spaces Learning.
Welcome to the BioHackers Podcast! Each week, David and Alex welcome a world-class BioHacking guest to explore interesting topics within the BioHacker movement, including Chaos Theory, AI in Biosciences, Climate Change, and BioHackathons. BioHackers are a community of digital biotechnicians dedicated to solving many of the world’s toughest problems by closing the data-driven R&D workforce demand gap. This ecosystem of skilled data workers work together to mitigate climate change, inequality in education, cancer, hunger, cultural resilience, and global digital transformation.
Welcome to Episode 11 of the BioHackers Podcast!
In this episode, David and Alex welcome famed plant geneticist Alex Harkess from HudsonAlpha Biotechnology Institute. Together, they discuss genomic time traveling, cloning trees, the bridge from education to research, biohacking, and the power of telling stories for organisms that can’t speak for themselves.
Watch the Video Podcast on YouTube: https://youtu.be/KqFdb4pbVlI
Here is a list of topics:
- Welcome to Episode 11 (00:00)
- Ethnobotany and Childhood Trees (01:07)
- Welcome Alex to the Show (06:56)
- Alex’s Story and Love of Trees (07:28)
- The Magic of Diversity (13:24)
- How Did the World Work Together with Hudson Alpha? (16:04)
- Genome Sequencing is Time Traveling (20:26)
- How Do Trees Capture Your Imagination? (26:32)
- Expanding the Harkess Lab Digitally (28:23)
- Overcoming the Inequity of the Field of Science (30:53)
- Cloning the Iconic Auburn Oaks (39:15)
- Unleashing Creativity with Online Learning (44:15)
- Democratizing Course Creation (47:52)
- Sharing and Caring in Genomics Academics (51:45)
- What is the Difference Between Research and Education? (56:00)
- What is a BioHacker to You? (59:40)
- Closing Thoughts (01:01:15)
Enjoy the Show!